Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Muslim Cemetary

As I had mentioned in a post far too long ago, I have wanted to visit the Muslim Cemetery on Wong Nai Chung road in Happy Valley. As I am nothing near a computer genius and all my attempts to take a screen shot of this map have failed (yes, I googled instructions and tried several times) here is a link to the map; http://tinyurl.com/muslimcemeterymap .  (As you can see, the Muslim and Catholic Cemeteries are in the center, Wong Nai Chung is the big road on the right hand side of the cemetery, the Hong Kong Football Club Stadium is in the middle of the Happy Valley Racecourse along with several other athletically inspired clubs and stadiums as open space is a commodity on this tiny little island. I live about a 10-15 minute walk away from this spot.) This cemetery is immense and the map doesn’t quite do it justice, and the fact that it is right next to the Catholic Cemetery, makes its presence in person undeniably surreal. Graves scale the sides of little mountains and the amount of people buried in such cramped plots can literally be jaw dropping. I spent an hour and a half walking through the landings and up the stairs in 32 C heat and maybe was able to see a third of the entire cemetery.  Huge.  Here are some of the photos that I was able to take; enjoy!
"Beware of Snakes" was literally the first thing I saw upon entering the gate





Someone had decorated their children's graves with samples from a tile store



The Mosque


A gift planted to keep the grave of a loved one company








Pomegranates in the Nature



I have several other photos which I wanted to share, but due to the fact that they're portrait rather than landscape formats, this blog photo uploader wont allow me to upload them correctly...  I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it used to upload portrait formated photos, but now it tries to upload them as landscapes and I cannot stand a photo that should be upright laying on its side... So, if you have any idea how I might be able to fix that little issue, please let me know! Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment